Home page

Chronology of Green River Cemetery

map thumbnail

findagrave logo
Searchable Online Database

May 26, 1851  First meeting at Town Hall; Green River Cemetery incorporated
June 2, 1851  First land acquisition of 12-1/2 acres
October 7, 1851  Consecration service held after grand procession through town
October 26, 1851  Deed to first lot purchased
June 1852  8 acres acquired from Albert Smead
July 30, 1853  2-1/2 acres acquired from Daniel Wells
September 25, 1854  1-1/2 acres acquired from Levi Jones
June 16, 1855  1 acre purchased from John Hamilton
1857  Survey map produced
October 5, 1857  3 acres bordering Petty Plain Road purchased by Catholic diocese
1866  Fence at Wells plot erected
June 9, 1870  Death of Albert R. Field, designer of Green River Cemetery
1886  8+ acres purchased by Cephas Root
October 5, 1887  Death of William B. Washburn, former Massachusetts Governor
June 1, 1901  Everill L. Jenkins becomes superintendent
1902  Wisdom Way entrance built; pillars donated by Frank O. Wells
April 1908  Superintendent's residence, Green River lodge, completed
February 11, 1911  10-1/2 acres acquired from Franklin A. Pond
1915  Bequest of Isabella Russell for mortuary chapel becomes available
1921  Chapel erected
May 1928  Death of Everill L. Jenkins
July 1928  Willis E. Tuttle becomes superintendent
March 1, 1929  Whitman B. Wells of Deerfield becomes superintendent
1938  Hurricane destroys about half of the trees at cemetery
1959  Albert Karlsen begins work at Green River Cemetery
1970-75  Front pillars removed
1975-76  Central flower bed section sold for interments
1978  Albert Karlson becomes superintendent
July 21, 1980  4.91 acres sold to Franklin County Agricultural Society
1983  Greenhouse removed after being destroyed by heavy snow
1993  Albert Karlson retires
1993  Ed Snow, Jr. becomes superintendent
August 1993  Cemetery interment books start using new section numbers
2001  150th anniversary of Green River Cemetery
2006  Erosion of section 3 causes relocation of William Washburn and 48 others
March 7, 2011  Large mudslide in SE corner of Cemetery closes Water St and Meridian St below
October 3, 2015  Death of William B. Allen II, director at GRC for over 40 years
Fall 2015  Remediation of 2011 mudslide threatening Sections 24 & 26


The pages on this site were created by and are
Copyright © 2024, www.freewheelers.org